Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Memories Within!

Hey yall, I know it has been awhile since I have put a short story up but here is my latest one. I hope you enjoy it and feel free to comment on it and even check out the other one in an earlier post. ~LH 1 Timothy 4:12~
The Memories Within

The house was large and full of memories. Generation upon generation had passed through these halls making the very walls hold secrets no one dared to speak, but all were proud to remember. These things left unsaid were the old world stories-stories from the Civil War to World War II. The old family homestead was always fun to walk around and to imagine what it once was, and it still is in the hearts of the family. Something was intriguing about the war stories of days gone by. The evidence of those wars and my families’ participation in these events was hidden away for safe keeping in the trunk in the store room that all the grandchildren would look at in awe but dare not open.

This trunk belonged to my Great-great-grandfather and when it was moved into my home, I was amazed at how I now had the chance to possibly see the evidence of the family presence long gone away. The trunk sat at the base of the guest bed. I would lie on the bed upside down so I could touch this amazing object, feel the roughness of the wood, the stiffness of the leather that bound the sides, and push my fingers into the old key hole I knew I could open but should I? or let the past just stay there?

One Christmas Eve curiosity finally got the better of my cousins and me amid the decorations and the singing the huge trunk upstairs was calling for us. I was the one with the honor to open it. I lifted the lid slowly, the hinges straining under the weight of the box top. The top finally came to a stop and each of us gazed in over the side, arms folded, as if we were looking into an endless abyss. There lay my family’s past. Many wonderful things I had heard stories about, wonderful stories that intrigued me, and now the evidence of the past. Many of the tales about men who were too strong and full of courage to be real, and of women who had been too beautiful and feminine, yet not faint nor feeble, but here was the evidence they had existed. We each gazed into the trunk, eyes as big as saucers, our childish dreams finally coming true. When I first gazed into the strong case, there was nothing but clothes from every decade I knew anything about, and some I knew nothing of. Then knowing there had to be more to this adventure than what met the eye, we each began to dig deeper and examine the contents. I finally discovered a collection of plastic bags, most containing old letters, and after further examination, it turned out these letters were from my grandfather to my grandmother during World War II, but then I saw one bag that did not contain a letter. This item was small with even smaller contents; I had to know what it was. We all galloped downstairs knowing there was a possibility we could get in trouble but none of us cared. We wanted to know the story behind the small metallic items, rusted with age.

My mother took the small package lightly in her hand and stood still for what seemed like ages, and then began relaying the story about men of honor. As my mother began to relay the story of my grandfather I could almost hear his voice tell of his story, his life, his adventure.

* * *

What a journey I have embarked on. I never knew as a child what my life would hold in the future. When I was a boy I always imagined running the plantation as my father and his father had done before me. Oh, how life and time have brought me down a different path. I served in the Confederacy for over two years. The boys in grey and I, when we enlisted were, mandated to serve for only one year to our proud South. But with my Roberts’ pride I would always shout, "I will be here till the duration." Sometimes I look back and regret that I stayed on as long as I did, but I know it was my duty, my calling. I served each day as if it were my last until finally a day came when I thought it was.
* * *
The battle was hard and long, each man fought with all his heart and soul, and many lost them on that very battlefield. I lay badly wounded a bullet in my face and my right arm lay at my side in shreds. I cannot hold my comrades at fault. I appeared dead; I felt as if I were. I could hear them marching away, but I could not call for them. I was at death’s door. What is this I hear? Could it be marching? I slowly turned my head, but in horror all I saw were the Yankees coming toward me and my fallen brethren. I saw them checking each body. I could hear each heavy footfall crunch the dry grass beneath their step. They came to me and to my surprise, even though they had their pistols drawn, they took me to a doctor. I reflect on that day often as the man had to remove part of my jaw trying to retrieve the bullet. Later on lying on a cold, wet, dark, jail floor I heard the news of Lee’s surrender. I was saddened, yet relieved to hear the news. Now I could go home! After a long walk from the prison yard of Elmira, New York to the old plantation home of Kershaw, South Carolina, clothes battered and torn, almost unrecognizable. I stepped into the carriage way and from a distance, there was my family. I must have looked like a ghost, like a dream, to them so long I have been gone. Now I am here and here to stay.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey There. I discovered your blkg using msn. This is an extremely
smartly wwritten article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful information.
Thank you forr the post. I will ddefinitely return.

Also visit my web-site - twodots hack ios

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there mates, its enormous paragraph on the topic of educationand fully
explained, keep it up all the time.

my site - the simpsons tapped out money cheats - -

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and
i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks?

If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?

I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any help is
very much appreciated.

Visit my blog ottawa bikram yoga

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Neat post. There's an issue with your web site in internet explorer, could check this?
IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good element of
people will pass over your fantastic writing because of this problem.


Here is my web blog: Easycashreviews.Com

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is in reality a great and useful piece of information. I'm
happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us.
Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.



Also visit my site :: deep link

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind iif I share your blog with my myspace
group? There's a lot of people that I think would really
appreciate your content. Please let me know.
Many thanks

Feel free to surf to my blog to make you feel my love by garth brooks

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
Superb work!

Stop by my blog post ... internet search engines

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the so much vital information for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few normal things, The site taste
is great, the articles is actually great : D.

Excellent process, cheers

Here is my website; best dating sites

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moreover, they also make commitments galore about
the tutors on their list being the very best
in the business but in the end leaving one with nothing
but unkempt promises. Give them something they will cherish for years to come.

Although we have got numerous television channels absolutely dedicated to movies, they do not grant the movie addicts the freedom to pick a movie they love
to watch. The guide, as I continually speak, really needs
to be an ocean of tolerance. If you purchase a new
game and do not like it, you have wasted a lot of money.


my web site: fun and stuff macedonia address

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

He-man
You are He-man and She-ra

What 80s TV Show Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla Sora
Sora

Which Kingdom Hearts Character are You Most Like?
brought to you by Quizilla